Aidan Jones via Flickr)Photo Credit: (
Congratulations, you submitted your application and heard back with interest from aof your choice! Now it’s time for you to go onto the next vital step; an interview with an admissions officer.
Here are a few tips to help you stay cool, calm and collected!
1. Be on time.
2. Dress professionally – no jeans, t-shirts, sandals or flip flops.
3. When shaking hands make sure you make eye contact.
4. Keep your sitting posture straight but relaxed.
5. Be mindful of your body language. Make sure you aren’t fidgeting.
6. When responding to interview questions make sure your answers are thoughtful and insightful. Language such as “you know”, “like”, and “ummm” should always be avoided.
7. Remember that you are at the interview because you were invited. You can ask your interviewer questions about the institution! It is true that he or she will be deciding between you and other students to admit, but you are also deciding between schools.
8. Exit the interview by saying thank you. Remember to give your interviewer a firm handshake and to make eye contact.
9. It is critical for you to ask for a business card since it will contain the interviewer’s email and mailing address. You should always send a thank you note later that day.
Sandy Avila is Director of Operations at Prepped & Polished. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
What was your favorite interview tip? Do you have any others?
Post your questions/comments below.